At The Peninsula, the assisted living and memory support community in Hollywood, encouraging senior health and fitness is part of our community’s lifestyle.
We want to bring attention to the 22nd annual National Senior Health and Fitness Day, Wednesday, May 27. It is the country’s largest annual health event geared to older adults and celebrates seniors who value fitness and regular exercise.
At The Peninsula, our fitness classes are offered most days of the week for residents. There is a morning ‘Stretch Class’ on Sundays and Mondays, ‘Move & Groove’ on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and ‘Spring into Shape’ routines on Thursdays and Saturdays. Our Monthly Nature Walk offers yet another opportunity for fitness.
Many of our residents enjoy exercising later in the morning and therefore these classes are scheduled at 10 a.m. following breakfast. We have our regulars but we really try to encourage new residents to try these classes.
There are so many benefits of regular exercise:
- Helps reduces the risk of falling and fracturing bones.
- Reduces the risk of dying from coronary heart disease and of developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- Can help reduce blood pressure in some people with hypertension.
- Helps people with chronic, disabling conditions improve their stamina and muscle strength.
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression and fosters improvements in mood and feelings of well-being.
- Helps maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Helps control joint swelling and pain associated with arthritis.
Our residents who never have tried an exercise class find the camaraderie of exercising with people they know more motivating. They feel they aren’t alone since they see their neighbors. Our classes combine aerobic, strengthening, and flexibility components specifically designed for older adults. We encourage them to start gradually and build up their endurance.
It’s very gratifying to see how much more energized they become when they join the classes.
To learn more about The Peninsula’s lifestyle, please call 954.893.7755 for a tour. Come and try an exercise class too.